Green Cleaning Day

Have just finished cleaning the house & by the sound of this blog, you would think that I really like cleaning. In fact, I really don't like cleaning. I dream of have a cleaner, a genie, a magic wand, a self-cleaning house, or a house that just never needed cleaning. I do also sometimes get hooked on the idea that maybe it would be easier if I used bottles of this that & the other to help me clean the house. A spray of this, a squirt of that & ta-da, sparkling clean. But no; I always come back to the choice of walking out of the supermarket with just 3 items to help me clean, vinegar, bicarb & borax for a few reasons:
  1. everything else seems really complicated and I would need a different bottle for everyroom & every surface
  2. everything is artificially fragranced and after years of not using it, I really notice the fragrances in other people's homes & find it quite irritating
  3. it is unneccessary having so many bottles, and those bottles add up to so much wastage...
  4. having kids with asthma & ezcema, things with chemicals & fragrances may make things worse for them
  5. I don't want to be putting unneccessary chemicals down the plughole when there are other choices
and at the end of the day, I actually find it really easy to just:
  1. dust all the surfaces with my damp cut up nappy with a few drops of cedar essential oil & orange essential oil (to ward off the beasties - moths, beetles, bugs - & make the room smell fresh & happy)
  2. whip around with the HEPA vaccuum
  3. and then follow with the microfibre mop that only water with it.

I use the vinegar & borax to clean the toilet, spray the vinegar wherever I see any mould, and use the bicarbonate soda to make a paste with water for cleaning kitchen benches & sinks & oven & stoves. The bathroom I use the microfibre bathroom cloth that I have with water I find that works a treat.

Simple, but easy, and it works, every 7 days.

I think that if I, the housecleaner hater, can do it...then...

3 comments:

  1. Well done you! But I'd still like a maid (or even a slave!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oohhhh, so would I, but I always wonder whether I would clean before they came & then feel guilty about them cleaning for me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Green Times – Your online journal and directory for the green industry. Designed to create awareness of environmental issues and promote Australian green businesses, Greentimes makes it easier for you to help protect the environment thanks to our green publication.

    The Green Times team is looking for new writers!!

    Any green related subject or experience you want to share with the world?!

    Contact us to submit an article and get published in our journal next month!

    Green Times

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...